Friday, March 27, 2009

Pancakes..no egg, no sugar, no oil!


I have to share this. I may be a little slow in this area, but it’s new to me and wonderful…so I am sharing. Just bear with me if you already know and if you have more healthful hints, please do share with me.

My family just LOVES pancakes. Problem is that they are so bad for you. The eggs, sugar, oil and refined white flour….so I went searching and found a nice “no-fat” recipe online. It’s simple.

1 cup whole wheat flour
¼ tsp baking SODA
1/4 tsp salt
(¼ tsp cinnamon if you like)

Mix dry ingredients

Add splash of vanilla
Add as much skim milk to make proper pancake consistency. (I like mine the consistency of lumpy ranch dressing).

Prepare as usual. For those of you who don’t like maple syrup, try honey….this is Matthews favorite.

Okay…..so I started making this on a regular basis. Yummy pancakes with no oil, egg or sugar….plus its whole wheat….after awhile I stopped using the recipe. I ended up using a different wheat flour and accidentally starting using baking powder instead of baking soda. It made for a sticky pancake. Before I realized the powder/soda mix up I blamed it on the flour….so the next time I bought flour I tried something new.
There were so many choices. After reading the ingredients, we decided to try Bob’s Red Mill 10 Grain Pancake & Waffle Whole Grain Mix. It has everything above, plus more goodness. The directions say to add oil and egg…and in some versions sugar, fruit and/or meat…..but I decided to make an attempt with the plain of flour and milk option.
They turned out awesome! Fluffy and tasty! I used about two cups of the mix with enough skim milk to make the consistency I preferred as listed above. They are super yum, super easy and so awesome….no eggs, sugar or oil!

I am so excited about this find, I decided to post it to my blog….and yes, I do get this excited about food!

2 comments:

nickl0206 said...

I'll have to try these... I love healthy alternatives that taste just as good as their counterparts :)

GodsGirl said...

thanks...i would definitely go with the bob's version. they are both great, but using the bob's mix is easier and tastes better. now if i can just figure out bob's portions on all their ingredients...and make my own mix. do share if you have any hints of your own.